Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Alcala de Henares

August 11, 2014

Here I am in Acalá de Henares. My first week has been fabulous! Acalá is where Miguel Cervantes is from (the Spanish Shakespeare) and where Christopher Columbus first asked for permission to sail to the America´s and where Queen Isabella lived and has all these storks! Its awesome! Alcalá is entertaining and they say we won´t sweat as much when it stops....being43ºC (which converts to 109.4°F) which I´m pretty sure is illegal in most states! Haha! I love you guys!!!! The heat is actually not that bad, I´m always hot but I´m tough; I can handle it ;) The worst time is when we come home at night to our frightfully warm piso. None of the houses here have AC... :( I know...it´s just the worst. BUT our piso is meant for 6 missionaries and my companion and I are the only ones who live here so we each get our own bathroom - hola!
Speaking of companions my new companion´s name is Hna Coburn. She is adorable and probably one of the best people on the earth, honestly. She is ALWAYS happy and bubbly and super duper charitable - like the love is really just seeping out of her! She has two transfers left so we´ll probably be together until she leaves! The area is super old and neat! I love it!
My first week here has passed soo fast! The first night I was here we ate dinner and taught a FHE at a member´s home. I love them. It was one the most humbling experiences of my life. They loaded up our plates with so much food that they didn´t have enough for themselves. Amazing.
The Spanish is actually coming along pretty well! I´m not fluent or anything, but when I pay attention I can understand the message of what they´re saying - usually!
Welp Spain is great! I´ve had investigators unable to read the scriptures they were laughing so hard at my terrible Spanish; one man sat and told us how hard his life was for an hour, refusing to hear our message; and talked with a 12 year old who had a pregnancy scare (I started crying after we walked away from them. Kimber´s their age. They just dont realize who they are...grrr) AND I couldn´t be more excited for all the other experiences of the next 16 1/2 months!!!! I love you!!!!!
Love, Hna Finch
PS There is only one ward here!

McKenna's Address:
Hermana McKenna Finch
Spain Madrid Mission
Calle Fuerteventura 4, 2, Office 8B
28703 San Sebastian de los Reyes
Madrid, SPAIN

Side note from Rachel:  Alcala de Henares is about 35 km northeast of Madrid with a population of about 200,000.  The name means Citadel on the river Henares.  Wikipedia states "The city stands out for its rich archaeology and was one of the first bishoprics founded in Spain. "

Hermana Finch and Hermana Coburn

My new companion!  Is dad worried?  Two blondes in Spain!  We get a lot of whistles!




There are the most gorgeous little treasures of buildings here!



Queen Isabella's Castle

A little troll door!

We did some cheer stunting trying to get into this window! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment